Even though I’m a vegetarian I still cook meat for the whole family. This slow cooker beef stew and dumplings recipe is SO easy. Even if you don’t have a slow cooker you can still make this stew, just brown the mince in your casserole dish first. If you don’t have all the ingredients don’t worry I chop and change the ingredients depending what’s in my fridge or what needs to be used!
You’ll tend to find my recipes aren’t very ‘measured’ I’m more of a toss it in and see what happens kinda cook!
The good stuff.
- Cubes of beef – I always buy Daylesford organic beef around 400-500g.
- A few Root Vegetables cut and cubed, around 1.5-2 handfuls of each. I will throw any of the following in: Carrots, Parsnips, Swede, brussel sprouts, butternut squash, pumpkin, leeks.
- Mini potatoes chopped in half 1-2 handfuls.
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 small bottle of red wine
- 500-750ml of beef stock
- Thyme, sage, rosemary dried or fresh herbs a few sprigs of each
- Pearl Barley around 200g
For the Dumplings:
- Dumpling mix – I use Atora vegetable suet
- Self raising flour
- Dried Sage
- If you’re using a slow cooker literally dump all ingredients in EXCEPT Pearl Barley & Dumplings. Cook on high for 6hrs.
- If your not using a slow cooker, then brown mince with onions then dump all ingredients in and pop in oven on 180C for 2-3hrs.
- Then add in Pearl Barley. Mix pearl barley around & add another 200ml of stock. The Pearl Barley will expand and soak up juices so you need to add more stock here.
- Leave to cook for another 40mins on high.
- Make the dumplings according to instructions on the box (super easy, just mix with self raising flour, water and I add sage for some more flavour)
- I then add some more stock to the stew if the pearl barely has soaked it up too much, if it’s still got a lot of liquid in don’t add anymore, There should be enough liquid so you can add the dumplings and they can sit on top of the stew and simmer.
- Add dumplings to top of stew (adding more stock if necessary) pop the lid back on and cook again on high for 20-30mins.
- SERVE & ENJOY!