Lemon Risotto with Pea & Green Beans
This will cook in under 30 mins and is super easy to make. Little ones love the zesty lemon flavour of this dish. I add more liquid than is normally required for risotto so that the rice is really creamy and tender for little ones. At the end I take away the kids portions and I add fresh peppery rocket for the adults to give the dish a little kick, I will also then season with freshly ground black pepper for adults too.
*You’ll tend to find my recipes aren’t very ‘measured’ I’m more of a toss it in and see what happens kinda cook!*
The good stuff.
- 280g Risotto rice
- 1.2-1.5litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 100g garden peas (fresh or frozen)
- 250-300g green beans
- 60g parmesan, grated and a sprinkle for serving too
- 1 finely chopped white onion
- 1 clove finely chopped garlic
- ½ tablespoon Olive Oil
**Quick Mum Cheats – you can buy “lazy garlic” -pre chopped in a jar. Sometimes I even buy pre chopped frozen onion!**
- Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan or wok.
- Lightly fry the garlic & onion until soft – not brown
- Add the risotto rice and stir together for around a minute or so
- Add 2 ladles of stock & stir until nearly absorbed
- Add the green beans and peas & stir
- Once absorbed keep adding 2 ladles of liquid and continuously stir, it’s important to add the liquid as you go stirring, letting the liquid nearly absorb into the risotto before adding more liquid.
- Keep adding liquid and stirring for around 20 minutes, after 20 mins try the risotto if it’s nice and creamy with a slightly al dente taste it is ready, if it is too hard then simply add more liquid and stir again.
- Add the lemon zest & juice, stir for a further one minute.
- Add the parmesan, stir again and serve!